Blenheim Palace was built in the early 18th Century to celebrate the victory over the French in the War of the Spanish Succession. In particular, it was built as a gift to the 1st Duke of Marlborough, John Churchill, the military commander who led the Allied forces in the Battle of Blenheim on 13th August 1704. It was Marlborough who personally received the surrender from Marshall Tallard, leader of the French forces, following the battle.
To honour the Duke’s heroics, Queen Anne granted his family the ruined Royal Manor and park at Woodstock, along with the promise of funds needed to build a house to mark the victorious occasion. In return, the Duke also ensured that the Palace became a monument to the Queen.